Recently, my wife and I took a scenic drive through the country. While often pointing to beautiful farms, well-kept houses and lawns, and the continual mountainous scenes, we were also greeted with run down houses covered over with vines and stores that once held a consistent business. How does a house that was once new become an unpainted relic of the past? One of the reasons is simple neglect. Take several days of neglect, add them together, and the house is in disrepair. In some cases, it is no longer inhabited.
This reminds me of marriage. Marriage cannot run on auto-pilot. Every day, you must work at keeping your marriage fresh and up-to-date. Neglect is like a vine that grows up around a house that eventually takes over. Here are some simple daily maintenance tips to your marriage fresh:
- Say “I love you” often throughout each day and look at each other in the eye when you do.
- Hold hands. Touch is invaluable.
- Kiss often and linger every once in awhile.
- Have prayer together before you leave for work in the morning.
- Send a love note text during the day.
- Be ready to meet each other at the end of the day; come home ready to make a connection mentally, emotionally, and physically.
- Spend time together for 10-15 minutes sitting on the back porch after the kids go to bed.
- Talk to each other; have much more than an adult/child conversation.
Don’t let your marriage look like a run down, uninhabited house! Remember, that house did not get that way overnight! Do your maintenance work today! Enjoy!!