Living for Christ is like wearing corduroy pants. Every time you take a step forward, you create friction. Do you hear the swish, swish, swish, swish? As you study the Word, you see many who were moving forward for God and faced opposition. Some examples of those who faced opposition and kept pressing forward are:
- Nehemiah — Sanballet and Tobiah (Nehemiah 2:19; 4:1-23)
- Moses – Pharoah and the children of Israel
- Joseph – his brothers (Genesis 37:8-36) and Potiphar’s wife (Genesis 39)
- David – King Saul
- Peter and John – the Sadducees, the Sanhedrin (Acts 4)
- Peter – King Herod (Acts 12)
- Paul – Satan (Acts 13:6-13), Demetrius (Acts 19:23-41)
- Jesus – Peter (Matthew 16:21-23); Pharisees (Matthew 22:15); Jewish authorities (Matthew 26:1-5); the crowd (Matthew 27:15-25)
The key to facing opposition is to follow Hebrews 12:1-3, Wherefore seeing we also are compassed about with so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which doth so easily beset us, and let us run with patience (endurance) the race that is set before us, Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God. For consider him that endured such contradiction of sinners against himself, lest ye be wearied and faint in your minds.
Fix your eyes on Christ; keep fixing your eyes on Christ. There is a finish line and a prize at the end. That prize is Christ. Keep on keeping on, brother. Keep on keeping on, sister. Endure. God’s promises and presence is secure!
Do you hear the swishing sound?