But they that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint (Isaiah 40:31). Denise and I have had the blessed privilege of attending the 2014 Spiritual Leadership Conference at Lancaster Baptist Church, Lancaster, CA, this week. The conference theme has been simply stated, but powerfully proclaimed and applied—renew. What strikes me is that I have literally come to the desert to be renewed! Only God could place a man in the desert and cause him to be refreshed!
The word renew means “to gain new strength; to receive renewed strength.” We need to be renewed every day of our lives and in every area of our lives. I am coming home renewed in the following areas:
1. A renewed passion for the priority and place of prayer in my own personal life as well as corporate prayer (Psalm 5:3; Hebrews 4:14-16). I want the “back stage” of my life and ministry to be bigger than the “front stage.”
2. A renewed passion for preaching the Word with power (1 Thessalonians 5:20; 2 Timothy 4:2).
3. A renewed passion to live my life in obedience to the greatest business in the world—the Great Commission, sharing and bearing the image of the gospel in soul-winning and leading others to do the same (Matthew 28:18-20; Mark 16:15; Acts 1:8).
4. A renewed passion to equip the believers at BCBC to do the work of ministry (Ephesians 4:11-12).
5. A renewed passion to change my daily priorities and routines to be in line with the Lord’s daily directives and provision (Psalm 37:1-7, 23; Philippians 2:13).
How wonderful to be renewed. How blessed to have met with my Lord in the desert!