On the first day of kindergarten, a little boy was asked by his teacher to tell everyone his name. He immediately said, “Listen!” He had heard his father say, “Listen,” so many times to him that he thought it was his name.
How well do you listen when God speaks to you?
Whoever is of God hears the words of God. The reason why you do not hear them is that you are not of God.” (John 8:47)
My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me. (John 10:27)
Tuesday’s post, How Do You Listen? has caused me to ask myself, “Do I listen to God?” And then to go one more step, “Do I listen to God for understanding?” God speaks to us every time we open His Word, if we will listen. Speaking about Israel, God said, “Hear, O My people, and I will admonish you! O Israel, if you will listen to Me! Oh, that My people would listen to Me, That Israel would walk in My ways!” (Psalm 81:8, 13). Our Heavenly Father longs to speak to us, and He wants us to slow down, stop and listen. The God of this universe, of eternity, the Transcendent One, Absolute Truth, has something to say to us. We cannot hear His voice if we just read Scripture to “check off a box” or read a brief devotional of mostly man’s words.
How do I listen to His voice?
- Prepare your heart to listen by prayer and worshipful singing.
- Ask God to speak to you and be ready to respond like Samuel, Speak, LORD, for Your servant hears (1 Samuel 3:9-10).
- Ask God to help you understand. Pray Scripture. Make me understand the way of Your precepts; So shall I meditate on Your wonderful works (Psalm 119:27). Give me understanding, that I may learn Your commandments (119:73). I am Your servant; Give me understanding, That I may know Your testimonies (119:125).
- Read through Scripture at a pace you can hear God speak. Being a good listener demands patience and no distractions.
- Write in your journal what God says to you; that passage of Scripture that stands out to you.
- Don’t argue with God; be a humble listener. Obey without doubt.
- Meditate at that moment on what God has said to you. Pray over it. Recite it back to Him. Then throughout the day mediate on that truth as God will continue to speak to you through that passage giving you fuller understanding.
- Ask God about words or thoughts from the passage you do not understand. Then be still and wait on Him to reply.
- Talk with Him throughout the day, singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord (Ephesians 5:19). Carry on a conversation with God and stop talking at various intervals to hear Him speak to you in the still small voice.
- Remember, God never speaks or leads contrary to His Word. He is faithful and true to His character or He ceases to be God.
Have you heard Him say to you today, “Listen to Me” (Isaiah 46:12)?
If anyone has ears to hear, let him hear. (Mark 4:23)
But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name, He will teach you all things, and bring to your remembrance all things that I said to you. (John 14:26)
One thought on “I’m Listening”
Thank you for these!