Many years ago, while in the midst of enjoying and appreciating another blessing from the hand of God, a friend said, “I just love clippin’ grace-coupons!” How true! Every day of our lives, we as genuine disciples of Christ are showered by many grace blessings, and we have a promise that it will continue throughout all eternity.
But God, who is rich in mercy, for his great love wherewith he loved us, Even when we were dead in sins, hath quickened us together with Christ, (by grace ye are saved;) And hath raised us up together, and made us sit together in heavenly places in Christ Jesus: That in the ages to come he might shew the exceeding riches of his grace in his kindness toward us through Christ Jesus. For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast. (Ephesians 2:4-9)
This past weekend, my wife and I have had the joy of clippin’ many grace coupons and rejoicing that Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and comes down from the Father of lights, with whom there is no variation or shadow of turning (James 1:17). Let me share some of them here for God’s glory and your encouragement:
- Hosting the teens from our church for a cookout and game night! What a special group of young folks . . . and they can eat!! We played volleyball and ultimate football and then gathered around the fire for dessert and a time in the Word! Thank You, Lord for Your grace in providing our home, this ministry, and these precious kids!
- Running 4.5 miles on the Tweetsie Trail with my son-in-law. He ran almost 9 miles. (There is a major age difference, you know!) What a blessing to share in this early morning time with him. Thank You, Lord, for the grace to run, to see Your awesome creation, and to share it with family.
- Hosting a baby shower in our home. What a blessing to sit in my study and hear these ladies laughing, praying, sharing, and rejoicing! My wife had everything decorated so beautiful! Also, it was a sweet reminder of our dear Ashley who has been in Heaven for 29 years. She was stillborn on the same date as the shower, so Denise and I celebrated life and death all in the same day. Thank You, Lord, for Your grace in giving this precious new mother a child, for us to have a place to host this event, and for the awesome reminder of Your sufficient grace many years ago.
- Family time with Andrew & Alli at one of our favorite Appalachian music spots, Carter Fold, Hiltons, VA. Fiddlin’ Carson Peters, a 12 year old who plays beyond his years, was the entertainment. Hard to beat Rocky Top and Orange Blossom Special, but the best was hearing Carson and his band sing “Beulah Land” and “Give Me Jesus.” Thank you, Lord, for Your grace in giving us this blessed time as a family and to hear a young man acknowledge before a large crowd his faith in Christ alone!
- Praying with a group of men to begin the day, teaching Sunday School, worshipping with God’s people, congregational prayer at the altar, preaching God’s Word, fellowshipping with fellow believers, picnic in the gym, and the thrill of baptizing two precious children who recently trusted Christ as Savior! Thank You, Lord, that by Your grace, You are sustaining and providing for the ministry at Boones Creek Bible Church, and You give us the privilege of serving here with such an awesome group of people!!
- Watching 30 plus kids leave for Junior Camp and Teen Camp at the Wilds! Thank You, Lord, that by Your grace, You provided for these young folks to go, gave them safety in route, and have sustained The Wilds for over 47 years ago to be a place that “uses the unique benefits of Christian camping, to serve people by presenting the Truth of God with the love of God so lives can be changed to the glory of God.”
- Celebrating Independence Day at our neighbor’s lake house with 50 or more folks! What a special day to fellowship with new friends, catch up with some old friends, eat extra-good food, gather to pledge our allegiance again to our great flag, pray, and enjoy a boat ride on Cherokee Lake! One of the highlights was meeting a 90 year-old gentlemen who served with General Douglas MacArthur in the Philippines in World War II. Thank You, Lord, that by Your grace, You have given us kind, gracious neighbors, a free country in which to live, and a beautiful day to take it all in!!
What grace coupons will you clip today?
And God is able to make all grace abound toward you, that you, always having all sufficiency in all things, may have an abundance for every good work (2 Corinthians 9:8).