One the blessings of our journey to Africa was the opportunity to keep up my journal entries. These writings are very dear to me. They recount my walk with Christ, my relationship with Denise, the grace blessings of every life as well as many, many other things that my mind would not recall.
Here’s a partial entry from Sunday, July 9
What a glorious day!! Sunday worship at Charity Baptist Church was a huge blessing.
- God gave grace to preach the first service.
- The congregational singing was powerful; watching Daniel and Mark Anton lead the congregation is fun to watch; then other men get come up to lead a song which they call a special; the choir of young folk was awesome.
- The offering is received by folks going forward and putting their offering in a basket while the congregation sings.
- Matt preached a powerful sermon from Ruth 2 on the subject of grace.
- The service ended in a very touching way. Pastor Daniel had the whole USA mission team line up across the front. Then he said, “I want our church to come up and greet you and place a love gift in the basket. It won’t buy the team a car but it will buy you a Coke. When you all drink it, think of us and pray for us.” Wow! These poor folks gave out of their poverty. As we sang, hugged and swayed, what a special time it was!!!
- Another brother stood and shared what a blessing it was to have blacks and whites worshiping together in the unity of Christ.
From a pastor’s heart,