Wow! What a world we live in today!
- Rebellion towards authority.
- Fake news.
- The threat of nuclear war.
- Disrespect for our flag and our country.
- Hatred poured out on the gospel.
- Natural disasters.
- And on and on and on and on…..
But, are we surprised? Since the Garden of Eden, sin has had its tentacles sunk into the heart of man and its curse on this earth (Genesis 3). Jesus said, These things I have spoken to you, . . . . In the world you will have tribulation [trouble] (John 16:33).
Yesterday morning, needing an encouraging boost from the Lord, I read the following words:
For we know that if the tent that is our earthly home is destroyed, we have a building from God, a house not made with hands, eternal in the heavens. 2 For in this tent we groan, longing to put on our heavenly dwelling, 3 if indeed by putting it on we may not be found naked. 4 For while we are still in this tent, we groan, being burdened—not that we would be unclothed, but that we would be further clothed, so that what is mortal may be swallowed up by life. 5 He who has prepared us for this very thing is God, who has given us the Spirit as a guarantee. 6 So we are always of good courage. We know that while we are at home in the body we are away from the Lord, 7 for we walk by faith, not by sight. 8 Yes, we are of good courage, and we would rather be away from the body and at home with the Lord. (2 Corinthians 5:1-8).
Did you note the repeated phrase, So we are always of good courage (5:6, 8)? How can I have good courage in a world of sin and trouble?
- Remember, as a born again believer, you are not Home yet!
- When your body groans because of pain, accident, old age, etc., remember God said it would. Hang on, a new body is coming! The groaning is a constant reminder of that new house!
- God has prepared us for this. We are equipped to endure to the end by His grace.
- Faith gives courage because faith is based upon the character of God Who is holy and cannot lie. You look around, and you are tempted to fret and despair. What does faith say? Who is God? Wow! What courage that brings!
How are you walking today? What has your attention? What are you meditating on? Living by faith or fear? Courageous or cowering?
By the way, Christ has the final, authoritative word on all of life. Meditate on the rest of John 16:33, These things I have spoken to you, that in Me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation; but be of good cheer, I have overcome the world.”
Press on, believer!