Happy Valentine’s Day!!
Here we are in the middle of February, and we continue the V-A-L-E-N-T-I-N-E acrostic on ways to make this a blessed month of growth and change in biblical marriage.
With “N” being the middle letter as it comes between V-A-L-E and T-I-N-E, let us be reminded to let NOTHING come between you and your spouse in this blessed grace gift!
So, as a reminder, what are some things that can come between a husband and wife? What can cause the marriage fire to grow cold? What do you need to be aware of that could short-circuit a growing love relationship?
- Daily schedules
- Extended family
- Unmet expectations
- Lack of and/or sinful commuication
- Unconfessed sin
- Sexual immorality
- Video Games
- Changes of life
- Weak life of prayer
- Cell phones
- Keeping track of offenses
- Household responsibilities
- The past
- Roles in marriage
- Lazy progressive sanctification
Stop reading right now. Please go back over the list and ask the Lord to reveal to you what has or is currently coming between you and your sweetheart. Then ask your spouse. There are a multitude of things that can easily slip in, begin to take root, and then produce damaging fruit in your marriage relationship.
How do you overcome that hindrance and remove the roadblock?
- Be honest before God and your spouse about what is coming between you. Speak the truth in love (Ephesians 4:15).
- Confess and repent of sin (1 John 1:1-2:2).
- Set up some biblical boundaries (1 Corinthians 10:31; Galatians 2:20; Ephesians 5:18-33; Colossians 1:15-20). Prayerfully put together a plan of action.
- Obey Matthew 22:37-40. Remember, your spouse is your neighbor.
Other than you being involved in a close, growing relationship with God, the best Valentine’s Day gift you could give your spouse is you.
Therefore, “N” – Nothing between you and your sweetheart!!