No, I did not!
But, marriages can seem like that.
What does a marriage look like for a man if he treats his wife like a sister?
- Someone I am forced to get along with or I get in trouble.
- She’s just a “bud” in my life.
- Certainly can’t kiss her! Remember the old sports line, “A tie is like kissing your sister!”?
- She’s not my completer (Genesis 2:18).
- She’s your “partner in crime” to bring out the worst in each other.
- There’s competition between you in school, on the ballfield, etc.
- You relate to each other on a different plane than God intended.
Husbands, if we get too busy, caught up in our own plans, games, demands, and work, your marriage can take on a brother/sister look rather than two shall become one flesh (Genesis 2:24).
So, what needs to happen for marriage to be as God so ordained?
- Surrender to God’s will for marriage and enjoy His plan. He will give grace to correct any misdirection your marriage. Marriage belongs to God and only operates in its full capacity as we follow His directives, as we submit to His all sufficient grace (1 Corinthians 13:4-8; 2 Corinthians 9:8; Ephesians 5:18-33; Romans 6-8).
- Your wife is your intimate companion, friend, sweetheart, confidant, helper, encourager, lover, etc.
- Yes, you can kiss her!! Has it been a long time since you embraced and passionately kissed! Go right now and have at it!!!
- Yes, she completes you in the way God intended. She is not your competition or enemy.
- You can certainly have some “partner in crime” prank times, but your goal is to bring out the best in your wife, not the worst. Pray with her; share what God is teaching you from the Word; listen to her; point her to Christ; compliment her often; keep pursuing her; help around the house with clean up and maintenance; when you are with her, be all there and have eyes only for her!!
Drink water from your own cistern, and running water from your own well.
Should your fountains be dispersed abroad, streams of water in the streets?
Let them be only your own, and not for strangers with you.
Let your fountain be blessed, and rejoice with the wife of your youth.
As a loving deer and a graceful doe, let her breasts satisfy you at all times;
and always be enraptured with her love. (Proverbs 5:15-19)
If you have a sister, be grateful, but if you are married, be enraptured!! Go have another passionate kiss and embrace!!